Saturday, July 08, 2006

First Day in Bolivia

I just arrived in Cochabamba after travelling all night through Lima, to La Paz and the to Cochabamba. This area is famous for the successful struggle against water privatization in 1999
http://www.democracyctr.org/waterwar/

I am staying with a family here. When I walked in the door I felt right at home. On one wall was a drawing of Che and on the other a photo of Evo Morales. I knew I was among friends with Mercedes and Johnny.

But the house is freezing cold. I was warned how cold it gets here in the morning but the stone house really keeps in the cold. As I write this it´s afternoon and quite hot so it s weird to a Canadian to go out to get warm.

The house is near the school where I will be studying Spanish for the next two weeks. http://www.runawasi.org/en/index.html It is in a barrio in the outskirts of Cochabamba where the tin miners live.

The weirdest coincidence is that when I arrived at the airport whom should I meet but Janet Conway and Lee who are studying Spanish as a different school here. They were on their way to Santa Cruz.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home